Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back to Blog

So we all thought that I would blog more since the thesis is down and out (Orlando, a copy will come your way soon), but obviously that was not the case. I had spring break, I had Carnaval, and now I have two more papers to write and one exam in May and I'm done. Let's catch up in that order.

Spring Break:

Was great. Loads of good people. Some days were more fun than others, but the trip was amazing. Highlights include a fun night of drinking and playing games and singing and whatnot in Boulder, CO; we made friends with Old Chicago bar and grills, introducing them to 'baby guiness', a sweet-tasting shot that looks like a miniature guiness drink; I snowboarded, along with most of the other kiddies; Monica actually got pretty good at it too, which I attribute to getting her away from he partner on the mountain who was more afraid to get up than anything else; Mon, once free from the fearful rants, could actually conentrate and enjoy the boarding day; We all got pretty sunbunt; the roadtrip part was awesome--Colorado east of the Rockies is WORSE than Kansas....I know! Here are some pics of the trip.


Here's Maggie and me driving 'round the mountains


Here's a lazy day


Most of the boarders (minus Mon and me), and our pretty good-lookin' teacher. He's from New Zeland





Carnaval

Carnaval was a good show, as usual. This was my first time doing it in the BIG theater on campus, though the show was done there last year when I was hanging out with the O'Reagans in Ireland. I had some 6 lines in the skit, danced lambada-chacha (chambada, we called it), bomba-reggaeton (bombaton, it was dubbed), and choreographed the senior dance. All of it was pretty fun, though a time killer for school happenings. I really think that chambada was maybe the sexiest dance I've ever danced, and the most complex. It had a great mix of the form and elegance of cha-cha, a ballroom dance, with the primal, Brazilian hotness of lambada. The choreographers did a good job of putting it together. Bombaton was just fun. It wasn't an incredible complex dance, but the practices were enjoyable and the people rocked, so we had a good time. As for senior dance. Well, let's just say it included the following songs: Can't Touch This, Come n Ride It (da train), Apache, Thriller, Grillz, Shoop, and Latinos. People flipped out when we played Thriller, and we also had super-seniors interrupt the dance, looking like supermans and we chased them off the stage. Good times! Pics below.


The quintessential Chambada pic


Here's the end of Senior Dance, where we actually spelled Seniors '06 properly


Some Bomba goin' on






Rest of School

Well, to wind up the school year, I got a paper on women in liberation theology and how the feminist angle has contributed to its development/fulfillment, one paper on Jews in the modern world, and an exam in that class. I've just wasted my hour in the library where I was supposed to research, so I'll finish here and do some work so the day isn't s a total workless day.

Peace, y'all. Thanks for reading.

No comments: