Thursday, July 12, 2007

JVC's Almost Over


jvc47, originally uploaded by jvc_mw.

The above picture is one from my community having dinner. We were pretty good about eating together in the weeknights. At least a couple nights a week, all seven of us would eat together. Today we begin our two day trek to dis-orientation (silly name, I know), which is the unofficial end to my JVC year. I'm actually contracted to work until August 3, so it's not quite over, but it practically is.

This isn't the complete reflection on the year, but for starters, JVC has been a good experience. Of course, like all things, some of what I was expecting wasn't there, and other things that were I hadn't thought about at all. Our community wasn't hardcore spiritual (which was a semi-fear of mine). It emphasized more the personal spiritual element than the communal. The personalities in the house simply lead it to be that way. I sometimes wished we were more communally spiritual, but it just wasn't the house's personality. You get used to it, and start to enjoy the benefits of the laid-back approach.

I think we lived pretty well. Everyone probably had issue with everyone else at some point. You can't help that, though. And hopefully it brings growth. Jack Bauer and the movie Wedding Crashers were house favorites. The house was freezing in the winter (I slept next to a drafty window, so to stay warm I slept in flannel pajama pants, a sweatshirt with the hoodie up, in flannel sheets, and under 4 blankets--toasty), and hotter than it is outside in the summer, which isn't too bad until it reaches over 90 degrees. We had one car break-in (stole a radio) and one window broken. We threw at least 4 parties, not to mention impromptu beer pong. Life was good.

I think most everybody is glad they did this, if only because they had nothing else to do. Also, I think most everybody is ready to move on. That's a good place to be, I'd say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Jorge, that is not surprising considering Jack Bauer is a man worth many. In the words of Dwight Schrute: "(If I needed a #2-) My ideal choice? Jack Bauer. But he is unavailable. Fictional. And overqualified." My thoughts exactly...