Monday, April 25, 2005

Hey Zeus


Hey Zeus
Originally uploaded by skinica.
I'm in a religious state of mind right now. I guess it doesn't help that I'm writing papers on the subject. The one that I'm working on most right now is comparing the Gospel of Matthew with letters from Paul, namely Romans and Galatians. Apperantly they're talking about different things at time, at least that is what teachers tell me. I guess the church would say something different (and when I say the church, I mean my church, the crazy papists). It seems as if the scholars look at the stuff with a very strict eye. They pick every word apart with a fine-toothed comb to find differences in doctrine. The religious people, I figure (that's the next paper I'm writing, how the Catholic Church interprets the Bible) would say that they are not saying different and incongruous things, but rather they are saying parts and pieces of the same and whole truth, and that their message is geared to the faith of a section of believers. I'd say Paul takes a little more authority when he writes, but the fact remains that he was writing to his crews. Matthew not only was of a different make up, but was made while the group itself evolved, so it's mixed with messages geared to both old Matt-kids and new Matt-kids. The question posed is why are they saying different things? Maybe the first question would be, are they? Maybe. I have yet to write the paper. Today was a waste of hours and hours of potential paper. Hope you like the picture I took in the Cathedral Real in Madrid in March. Enjoy life, y'all.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Have you read St. John of the Cross? I have something by him sitting on my shelf to pick up this summer and plunge into.

Monica said...

Maybe it's just because I've been writing too many papers and my brain is mush, but that all sounds so deep and philosophical. It's a good thing you're smart ;)