Saturday, April 23, 2005

The way it works


Hag
Originally uploaded by skinica.
I was searching some blogs of friends of mine, and they use it to write some deep stuff, like what a community is and what one does for its members. That's some pretty deep stuff! So is that what blogs are for, I guess, unless there is some specific aim? Its not a culinary site. Just my random ravings. Is it supposed to be my journal? I guess people will tell me it's whatever I want it to be and whatever I make it. Well, that doesn't give me direction. I guess what I could do is gear these writings to whatever I think the audience will enjoy and actually read. Who the audience is I can't tell. So that doesn't do much for me yet. I guess I could just write whatever randomness comes to mind, whatever I'm inspired to do at the time. I should make an effort to write at different states of mind. Right now is the tired state. I promise fill in some drunken moments, sad ones, manic ones, and everything in between. Until then, enjoy the random picture of inside a cathedral in Vienna. Peace.

2 comments:

Steve said...

That is an amazing picture...St. Pat's?

What is a blog? For me, the concept of a blog does entail some seriousness--I use it to differentiate between the output of professors and journalists and livejournal "this is my day" type things. Blogging is a transformative medium recreating the way we receive our news and information. It's an unedited voice, power to the people. The blog allows citizens to acquire their information outside the filtered process of mainstream media. However, this unfiltered stuff therefore has incredible bias, so one needs to be aware of it.

Bu that's all "professionals"--political science professors, former magazine editors, etc. These people are making a living off their writings--they're just published online and it's pure advertising revenue rather than a royalty or some other salary.

Can a blog be personal? Sure. Web Log=blog. A log of what then? your life, your passions, your experiences, your views.... make it a window into your life, at this moment. make the window as opaque or translucent as you wish--public or private, your choice.

Write where the urge takes you, allow your energy and passion to come through, and the readers will come. Don't gear it towards them directly, only indirectly. That's my take.

Let it grow and morph into a beautiful record.

I've enjoyed it so far...and totally feel you on the need for comments.

Metallyptica said...

The photo just captured me... I saw this last Summer and also photographed it! :)