Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Machu Pichu is Cool


If that doesn't look mystical, I don't know what does. An interesting fact I learned about the Inca's while in Peru is that they built these terraced lawns, not only for practicality's sake--living in the mountains makes flat space otherwise hard to find--but also to make the Machu Pichu golf course the most difficult, where even the emperor (called the Inca) might have a tough time sinking in the par fours....Ok, the golf course thing was a big lie, but the terraces are cool, no? And the dark, cloudy, rainy day made it look all the more mystical. Turns out Machu Pichu was the land for the elites, like astrologers, doctors, priests, and vestal virgins.

Machu Pichu also had some llamas rolling around there. Before this picture was taken, these Argentine chicas were taking a picture of one of their friends near the llamas, when one (not pictured) went running down the ancient gutter tot he right of the picture, straight at her. She freaked out, and SNAP; her friends took a picture of her terrified face while a llama ran past.


Atom and I also tried some Guinea Pig, or cuy. Not the most delicious thing on the menu. The alpaca was better. But all in all, not that bad. I think if it had a better sauce/seasoning it would have been better. And they say you're supposed to eat everything except for the bones. Gross. The leg I had still had some hairs sticking out of the skin, so I ripped that 'ish off before I munched on the little bit of meat left behind. One of my fake uncles, Tio Ivan, was sitting in front of Atom and left the able. Couldn't stand the look of the cuy. Can't say I blame him.



On a completely separate note, I'm off to NYU for an interview. I'm a finalist for the Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship Program, which gives money to kids to are cool (like me) and will  commit to working in Public Interest Law for some years after law school. I talked to one of this past year's scholars, and she humbled me...aka made me nervous. I realize they must like something about me, but her experiences and qualifications made what I have done seem juvenile in the sense that she has lived more life and done more things and my adult life is just starting. She has shown years of dedication and service as a professional, while I am finishing my first year out of college. Still, I know and am proud of what I have done in the past, I have a strong sense of what I want to accomplish in the future, and (as I keep reminding myself) I was picked from a pretty large applicant pool to be a finalist. So wish me luck. New York, here I come....Friday.

Peace.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: